AC JosepH Media
SEWELL — Loving Our Cities will host Sit In to Stand Up on Monday, January 16, 2023, marking its return to gathering in-person for the annual MLK Day commemoration after two years online due to the pandemic.
Scheduled to be held at Perfecting Plaza located at 274 Delsea Drive in Sewell, New Jersey, Sit In to Stand Up honors the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. with a day of community conversation, reconciliation and service as together we answer, according to Dr. King, “Life’s most persistent and urgent question: What are you doing for others?”
The program begins at 10 a.m. in the spirit of a sit-in as neighbors gather for dialogue reflecting on the relevance of Dr. King’s Letter from Birmingham Jail—then and now—and concludes with an invitation for participants to stand up, joining in on the following opportunities to donate, serve and/or be served beginning at 12 p.m.:
· Non-perishable food, cases of water, shelf-stable milk products, condiments, paper products, diapers, wipes, baby formula, toiletries and cleaning supplies to be distributed through food pantries operated by Loving Our Cities.
· Hand sanitizer, wipes, toothpaste, toothbrushes, deodorant and new socks to include in kits and distribute to men and women impacted by homelessness in our region.
· New or very gently used children’s books in support of Camden County Pop-Up Library and BookSmiles.org.
· Sort, stock and inventory the Loving Our Cities warehouse at The Perfecting Plaza serving as a HUB for the Food Bank of South Jersey and area pantries.
· Collect, sort and stock donations to food pantries operated by Loving Our Cities.
· Collect, sort and assemble donations for blessing bags to be distributed to those impacted by homelessness in our region.
· Distribute blessing bags to those impacted by homelessness in our region.
· Organize book donations for BookSmiles and Camden County Pop-Up Library.
· Stuff and assemble baby bottles with literature for the Choices of the Heart Baby Bottle Campaign.
· Sign up for a free haircut from one of five participating professional barbers.
· Attend a workshop and identify The One Thing you can do to enhance the quality of life where you live, work, serve and worship.
· RSVP for one of two “Paint and Dream” art sessions inspired by the words of Dr. King.
· Register for Storytime and crafts for toddlers through age 10 who’ll learn we’re never too young to become the change we want to see in the world!
“In an age of rabid polarization propelled by a pandemic that forced many into isolation, I’m thrilled for this opportunity for us to convene in-person as a reminder that we’re all called to not only foster change in the world but become the change we want to see in the world—together,” said Angela M. Brown, Executive Director of Loving Our Cities.
The program is FREE and open to the public. For more information and to register, visit www.lovingourcities.org.
About Loving Our Cities: The community engagement arm of The Perfecting Church, Loving Our Cities is a 501c3 community development corporation with a mission to enhance the quality of life where we live, work, serve and worship. To discover the many ways we are Loving Our Cities, please visit www.lovingourcities.org.
About The Perfecting Church: Founded in 2011 by Pastor Kevin C. Brown, The Perfecting Church is a vibrant gathering place of contemporary Christians discovering, developing and perfecting their abilities, individually and collectively. For more information visit www.theperfectingchurch.org.
Follow Us Today On:
Note from AC JosepH Media: If you like this story and others posted on Front Runner New Jersey.com., lend us a hand so we can keep producing articles like these for New Jersey and the world to see. Click on SUPPORT FRNJ and make a contribution that will do directly in making more stories like this available. Thank you for reading.